Tuesday 1 April 2014

Easter Bath Bombs


The Butterballs totally LOVE messing around with Baking soda and vinegar!
Especially when I add coloring or bubble bath.
Today I decided to give them a different kind of fizzy fun with DIY bath bombs.

Supplies : Easter egg molds, Bath bomb powder

I followed this easy recipe to make the bath bomb powder:
 (makes 9 small eggs)

3tbl baking soda (bicarb)
4tbl cream of Tartar
2tbl Epsom salt
2tbl Cornflour
1tbl olive oil
11\2 tsp essence
few drops food coloring

Stir dry ingredients with a fork.
 Add liquids and mix till coloring is well blended.
 It should have a dry crumbly texture.

Adding water causes the bath bomb to fizz, leaving you with a bombed out bomb.


I made 3 batches:
the yellow batch was lemon-scented,
the pink batch was strawberry-scented,
and I used peppermint essence in the green batch.

It smelled absolutely delicious.
I had to watch Ethan like a hawk, to make sure that he didn't taste it, to check if it was as yummy as it smelt!

Next, I filled my egg molds, pressing the powder down firmly.


The eggs were left to dry over-night.
The next day I excitedly unmolded them,
 only to find that it didn't turn out the way I had hoped  :((

Instead of sticking together and forming a perfect egg, I now had 2 neatly formed halves!
They still smelt and looked amazing - the color and scent hadn't faded a bit.

All was not lost, 
I decided to used the bath bombs in the egg mold and treat the Butterballs to an Easter Egg Bath.



I filled up the tub and tossed in their plastic eggs.
I also included a bowl full of Bath Bomb Eggs.
As expected, the Butterballs began opening up the eggs and using them to scoop and pour the water.

It didn't take them long to discover that some eggs had a surprise in them!

'What's this Mama? It's so pretty' ...Tamlyn
' Mmmm, smells good, I eat it?' ...Ethan of course!!

 I told the Butterballs that it was like a special 'bubblebath' that makes only a little bubbles, and makes the water smell nice and their skin feel silky soft.
'Oooo, silky skin!' exclaimed an eager Tamlyn!

The Butterballs quickly dropped the first few bombs into the water and watched them dissolve.
They were disappointed that there wasn't much bubbling and fizzing
 so we tried slowly lowering the bombs into the water.





Ethan began giggling cos the fizzing felt ticklish.
Tamlyn was amazed that she could hear the popping and fizzing.

I saved a few bath bombs, for the Butterballs to play with later,
 and left them to their pouring and exploring.

After they had dried off, we decided to explode our remaining bombs on a plate
(where I could get a better photo!)


I poured a tiny bit of water into the plate and placed in the bath bombs.


The Butterballs were able to see and hear the fizzing clearly.
The fizzing is nowhere near as pronounced as a baking soda\vinegar reaction,
but it was still fun to watch.
It also smelled so much better than a vinegar\bicarb reaction!!
Afterwards, the Butterballs got to play with the pretty, sweet-scented water.
An all-round feast for the senses!



No comments:

Post a Comment